Saturday, March 9, 2013

More Kangavar

Amir's sister Somayeh and her husband Sohrab live in Kangavar.  It's a city between Tuyserkhan and Kermanshah.  Amir's mom's sister also lives there.  The video is her house.


Fatimeh and Nemah.
Fatimeh and Mohsen brought potato chips. They are definitely the favorite cousins.

Amir and his Aunt Sakineh.

Farzaneh and Farhad.


A cute little Amir.

Nemah, Amir and Amir.



A deck of cards are a great way to break the language barrier.  I taught everyone Slap Jack and Go Fish.  Fatimeh is very fast.  Mohsen is a wee bit competitive and he likes to cheat.  Nemah is a bit of a card shark. But the video shows the basics.  I liked it simply because I know the numbers in Farsi and could actually communicate.  Yey!  Mohsen also wanted to play trumps.  Nemah and I were partners, and I was doing just fine, thank you very much.  But Amir said I did not know how to play.  So he took over.  (Amir is a wee bit competitive too.  Must run in the family)   



Grandma and Grandpa Garner gave us Monopoly for Christmas.  It arrived the day before we left, so Amir said, let's bring it with us.  I thought that was an odd idea, but why not?  Amir's family caught onto the nuances of the game very quickly.  I wish I had taken a video of the haggling and negotiating.  It was amazing!! Nemah and Farhad stayed very late and played with us.  Mohsen said on the way home Nemah fell asleep and was saying "I want to sell.  I want to buy," in his sleep.  
I think a deck of playing cards will now travel with me wherever I go.  That and UNO.  That's another good game.  I know colors in Farsi too.


2 comments:

  1. I love that you took videos of the games. That's so fun! You are an awesome wife to try so hard to learn Farsi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that games are universal. How fun of you to think of video-ing it . . . and that you brought games with you.

    ReplyDelete