Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Hello peoples.  Amir and I have returned from the land of his birth.  Yes it was a difficult (possibly reckless) decision.  Yes we spent a lot of time thinking and praying about it.  Yes it was nerve racking.  Yes there were a few tense moments. Yes his family was lovely. Yes we had a good time.  Yes we are tired.  And yes you will get pictures soon.
Now that that's cleared up....
First let me say, I did not go to Iran as a tourist.  I did not see Isfahan, or Shiraz or Persepolis or the big touristy things.  I went to meet and visit with my husband's family.  You also have to understand that his family is middle class.  They are not the monied elite of Tehran.  They don't drive a Mercedes and wear haute couture.   But they are also not poverty stricken. Just your basic hard working, fun having, family loving, regular people.
Iran reminded me of many places we visited and lived when I was growing up.  I guess in that sense I didn't have culture shock nearly as bad as some may have.  His brother apologized for their bathrooms on the first day.  Let's just say it was unexpected, but not shocking.
The biggest adjustment was the head scarf and coat.  Iranian women aren't required to wear the full burqa or chador.  But they are required to wear a head scarf and long coat to the knees.  In the summer it's more like a baggy shirt.  Many women did wear the full covering in the towns we visited.  Amir said that's because outside the big cities people are more conservative.  I also noticed more older women than younger wore the full covering.  It might also be a generational thing.  Amir asked me how I liked hijab. I said it made me hot.  And it did.  I can't imagine what it's like in the spring and summer.
The food was phenomenal.  YUM!!!  Fast food exists, we saw signs for burgers and pizza, but we didn't eat out.  The flat bread was awesome (purchased every day fresh from the local vendor).  The cheese was scrumptious.  Meets, veggies, fruits- all tasty.  Except, they eat ALL the time.  Maybe it was just because we were guests, but my goodness!  Tea with fruit and pastries before the meal.  Then the meal, which is always huge.  Then more tea, fruit and pastries after the meal.  Bohor, bohor.  (eat, eat)  We were always eating.  Amir says if an Iranian likes you, they try to feed you.  They must have liked us A LOT!!
When people tell you about Iranian hospitality, they aren't kidding.  People literally fought over where we slept and who got to feed us.  Tea is a huge deal there, and they were a little surprised I didn't drink it.  But after the first few offers, his family understood.  Everywhere we went, they said, no she doesn't drink tea.  And they always found me water or juice to drink.  The homes we stayed in had one or two bedrooms, but Amir and I always had a room to ourselves. Anything they could do to make us comfortable, they would do.   Everyone was beyond courteous.
I think that was my biggest impression of Iran.  The people were lovely.  I will miss Amir's family very much. I think I agree with my niece Sophia.  I wish everyone I loved could all just live on the same street.  Then we could see each other everyday.  That's my vision of heaven anyway.  One big eternal family reunion, with everyone I love right there.

1 comment:

  1. Your visit to Iran sounds amazing. I would love to hear more. Pictures would be great, BUT I wanted to hear stories. Glad you had a great time and made it home safely. I bet your mom was worried crazy while you were gone. Come back to the NW sometime - I miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete